Friday, August 2, 2013

18 weeks (about 4.5 months) Along

Before I got pregnant, I was annoyed when people referred to development times in weeks. For example:
"How old is he?"
"He's 24 weeks."

Why didn't they just say "almost 6 months old"? Well, I've figured that out quickly. It's how the doctors and the books separate important developmental events. When something happens quickly - or at least under a year - it's easier to track by week.

My development seems to be right on schedule. I'm 18 weeks today, and while there are a few things bothering me, it's not nearly the hell of the first trimester. Instead of feeling sick all the time, now I just can't sleep and I actually feel pregnant. For example, larger. I had to switch to pregnancy pants and got a few new tops for my growing body. And I suppose for once it feels good to be growing in a positive way...instead of inadvertently losing or gaining weight due to food.

Andrew and I haven't really started on the baby's room yet, but we've been so busy with getting my grandfather's house ready to sell that we just haven't had the time. Jake is moving in here today for a few days, and selfishly, I wish he could stay longer. I know Andrew doesn't like being crowded, but I like having my little brother around.

We had an incident lately with my mother, and it was enough for us both to want to cut ties with her. Things like that naturally pull you closer to your other family. Jake and I disheartened that this happened, but not surprised. She is a lost soul, and too far gone for me to help her. And I don't want an alcoholic around my child.

But I still wish my child could have more family around. We're going to have to be really proactive in hanging out with people. Especially people with other children so the little one gets to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment